Urgent Advocacy Alert! Please contact your U.S. Senators today to urge them to include nonprofits, like LSSI, in the Coronavirus Relief Package.
In collaboration with Lutheran Services in America (LSA), Lutheran Social Services of Illinois (LSSI) is contacting Illinois Senators Dick Durbin and Tammy Duckworth TODAY as Senators will be voting soon on the $2 trillion+ Coronavirus Relief Package.
Final negotiations are taking place in the U.S. Senate now on an economic rescue package to offer relief to businesses and nonprofits through loans and grants. This draft legislation currently contains a provision that would make nonprofits with over 500 employees and those that receive Medicaid payments ineligible, including senior living facilities, child welfare organizations, organizations serving people with disabilities, and many others.
We ask that you call and email your Senators today to urge them to remove this language before voting on the bill. We are also asking Senators to include additional financial support for senior living communities as they navigate this crisis with the older adults in their communities. LSA has provided a link below to email your Senators, as well as suggested phone script language and a sample tweet for your use. There is strength in numbers, and the more people who can reach out to Senators, the better. This rescue package is moving incredibly quickly, and we urge you to make this a priority today.
Ways You Can Take Action
- Option 1: Write to your Senators using Lutheran Services in America's advocacy tool where LSA provides suggested language.
- Option 2: Contact your lawmakers by phone using the suggested talking points below. You can find your Senators and their phone numbers here. Suggested messaging you may wish to use during your call:
I’m calling in regard to the Senate's third coronavirus relief package. An organization I support, Lutheran Social Services of Illinois, serves more than 50,000 people annually in Illinois. I am gravely concerned that the bill currently excludes Lutheran Social Services of Illinois and other nonprofits that receive Medicaid payments from zero- and low-interest small business loans. Like many nonprofit health and human service organizations, we are on the front lines caring for Americans during the pandemic, and we are in crisis mode. We are incurring additional expenses, and our cash reserves and margins already are tight. The fact is we cannot retain our employees and provide our services that help so many vulnerable people in our state without this support. I urge you to include nonprofits that receive Medicaid payments as eligible applicants for these much-needed small-business loans. I also ask that you expressly include charitable nonprofits that employ over 500 employees in the bill and include additional financial support for senior living communities as they navigate this crisis with the older adults in their communities. So many people in our state are relying on our organization, and we’re relying on you.
- Option 3: Since lawmakers' staff consistently monitor their social media pages, reaching out via their Twitter pages is also useful.
- You can find your lawmakers and their Twitter handles here.
- Suggested tweet:
- [Insert your lawmaker’s Twitter handle here] #Coronavirus relief bill MUST make nonprofits that get Medicaid reimbursements eligible for $ relief + support senior living communities: nonprofits like SNFs + child welfare agencies + senior living are on frontlines of fight & under severe financial stress.
On behalf of Lutheran Services in America and Lutheran Social Services
of Illinois, thank you for your efforts!