Craft Meaningful Life Stories
Help Foster Children Make Sense of Their Lives
Lifebooks for Children in Foster Care
- Designed for children in foster care
- Builds self-esteem by celebrating strengths & achievements
- Explores reasons for being in foster care in a non-threatening way
Lifebooks for Children Returning from Foster Care
- Improves coping skills by exploring how returning home will be different
- Shares alternative perspectives on returning home in a safe way
- Expands the child’s support network by storing contact information for important bonds made during foster care
Lifebooks for Children Adopted from Foster Care
- Helps children appreciate both birth and adoptive families by recognizing the good qualities of both families
- Improves coping skills by providing an appropriate outlet for expressing feelings about adoption
- Offers creative ways to learn more about the adoptive family
Why Do Children in Foster Care Need Lifebooks?
Fill in the Gaps
Children in foster care may have lived in several homes. Without a written record, it’s easy to forget what occurred during previous placements.
Reshape Life Stories
Frequently, children blame themselves for separation from their birth families. Lifebooks help children understand that they are not the reason for being in foster care.
Lifebooks give children a picture of where they have been and where they are now.
Find Purpose in Life
Overcoming the past helps children focus on achieving dreams and life goals.