Our veterans pledged to love our country, trust in the justice of our cause, keep faithful, and be loyal. Through Legacy Corps, we have the privilege to recognize their commitment.
Our mission is to provide support, resources, education, training and employment assistance to improve the lives of our veterans and their families from all branches of the military.
- We are an AmeriCorps program founded in 2001 with sites in nine states across the United States. Legacy Corps of LSSI has operated since 2003.
- We annually support more than 250 military families from every branch in 72 Illinois communities through training, activities and education seminars.
- We work with other organizations such as: Veterans R&R, Illinois Joining Forces, Stand by Me Heroes, Pillars of Honor, Illinois Chamber of Commerce, and Illinois National Guard.
What We Offer
LSSI’s Legacy Corps provides respite for veterans and military families, and decreases the caregiving burden and stress. Our volunteers stop by the home for a few hours a week, helping veterans or providing time off so that caregivers can run errands, see to other responsibilities, or just relax.
Services are offered at no charge, regardless of income level, in most northern Illinois counties.
- In-home respite care
- Engagement in social activities
- Transportation assistance
We are their Cadre: to listen to the needs, evaluate and specifically tailor services to meet them so that they may drive on!
We host a variety of social events, including fundraisers to help expand our ability to reach out and support more service members and their families.
Legacy Corps Volunteers
We’re always seeking caring and compassionate individuals to volunteer as Legacy Corps members. Training is provided.
To learn more about Legacy Corps respite services or becoming a volunteer, please contact Peg Saintcross at 847.293.0728 or Peg.Saintcross@LSSI.org.
LSSI’s Legacy Corps is a volunteer-driven service funded by the Federal Domestic Volunteer agency and the Corporation for National and Community Service. Legacy Corps operates in 15 sites nationally under the auspices of the University of Maryland School of Public Health and is administered in Illinois by Lutheran Social Services of Illinois.