Volunteers & Gifts In-Kind
Thank you to the many churches, community groups and individuals that helped to make this holiday season complete for the children served by Lutheran Social Services of Illinois. Many of the children, families, and individuals we serve are in need of life’s basic necessities. Throughout the year, LSSI receives assistance from generous friends to provide both everyday items and special gifts for the people served by our programs.
Volunteers Needed for 15th Annual Back to School Expo
Lutheran Social Services of Illinois will hold its 15th Annual Back to School Expo on Wednesday, August 5, 2015 from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at De LaSalle Institute, 3434 S. Michigan Ave., Chicago, benefitting children in our foster care program. Both children in foster care and their foster parents attend the event designed to help prepare for the coming school year. Each student receives a backpack fully stocked with school supplies as well as access to doctors, dentists, and other services. LSSI is seeking volunteers and donations to support the event. Here are the details:
We need a minimum of 2 volunteers per positions (listed below). Positions could be rotated and also worked in shifts from 9 a.m. to noon and 12:20 to 4 p.m.
The following volunteer assignments are available:
- Set-up and clean-up
- Greeters to welcome guests at entry and walk them to the registration table.
- Making and distributing popcorn for guests
- Crafts—assist with making simple crafts
- Game hosts—help with games such as the duck pond and Bozo buckets
- Ticket Takers—take tickets as clients receive their lunch
- Making snow cones for guests
- Monitoring the bounce house
- Face Painters (simple designs)
We are also looking for donations of the following:
- Craft Supplies
- Simple foam projects
- Coloring sheets
- Other simple crafts
- Game Prizes
- Small toys
- Gift Cards (Suggested stores include Target, Walgreens, Jewel, McDonald's)
For more information and to be a part of this fun event, please contact Joy Medrano, Director for Volunteer Engagement, Lutheran Social Services of Illinois at 847.635.4653 or Joy.Medrano@LSSI.org.