Lutheran Social Services of Illinois (LSSI) has developed an innovative Lifebook Training Curriculum, "Putting the Pieces Together: Lifebook Work with Children," to help therapists, social workers and child welfare professionals, as well as foster and adoptive parents, use Lifebooks to help children recover from trauma, or cope with loss and change.
- The curriculum incorporates video clips from LSSI's Lifebook DVD, a documentary-style video presentation developed in conjunction with Dr. Jeanne Howard of the Center for Adoption Studies at Illinois State University, that provides instruction on how to do Lifebook work with children, including practical tips for getting started, what to include and how to respond to children's questions as they complete their Lifebooks.
Preview the Lifebook DVD below:
- In the Lifebook DVD, you will meet a compelling 16-year-old who shares how Lifebook work has made a significant, positive change in her life. You will also be introduced to other foster/adoptive parents, children, therapists, and child welfare and adoption professionals who are passionate about the importance of Lifebook work.
- The training is set up in five modules, totaling 6 ½ hours. It can be delivered as a one-day training or delivered on two or more separate training dates.
- The curriculum includes a script for one or more trainers and suggestions for delivering the content, including a section on the impact of trauma on children and how Lifebooks help children heal.
- In addition to the video segments, the curriculum includes mini-lectures, skill-building activities and discussions to help participants understand the benefits of Lifebooks for children and learn practical "how-tos."
- Participant hand-outs include all the activities needed for the training, plus sample Lifebook pages from actual children in foster care.
- Although written primarily for staff, the curriculum also works well with foster/adoptive parents.
Learn what a Lifebook is...and is not.
Meet Clarissa and learn how Lifebook work helped her reunite with her brother.
When purchasing the curriculum, you receive:
- Full-color Trainer's Guide
- Lifebook Training DVD
- One set of Participant Resources
- CD with PowerPoint slides and PDF files of the Trainer Guide and Participant Resources (which agencies may reproduce for use with their own staff or foster/adoptive parents)
- 10 percent discount on purchase of 10 or more LSSI Lifebooks, "My Awesome Life"
LSSI foster parents who have participated in this training have commented:
- "I feel like this is one of the best things that LSSI has come up with for me and my foster children."
- "I loved this training. It was not only informative for me, but…will also help me get to know my children better."
- "Kids need to know where they come from and the people who love them…then and now! Pictures say a thousand words!"