Shady Oaks Residential Programs
Lutheran Social Services of Illinois (LSSI) offers two intermediate care residences at Shady Oaks East and Shady Oaks West in Homer Glen for people with developmental disabilities, including some who are wheelchair-bound. Its programs are designed to empower individuals to make their own choices, exercise their rights, utilize their strengths and express their needs.
LSSI's goal is to provide support, services and encouragement to the residents to enable them to grow and live as independently as possible in a safe, home-like environment that is wheelchair-accessible and supportive. Shady Oaks meets Intermediate Care Facility for the Developmental Disabled (ICF/DD) requirements that are set by the Illinois Department of Public Health.
Shady Oaks staff members:
- tend to residents' physical needs, such as bathing, shaving, eating and dressing, and provide necessary medication;
- manage clients' wheelchairs, communicative devices and other adaptive equipment;
- schedule regular visits from medical professionals;
- transport residents to medical specialists if necessary;
- encourage residents to work in Helping Hands, a vocational services program on campus; and provide a variety of social activities, including parties and outings.