Homes (CILAs) for Adults with Developmental Disabilities
Lutheran Social Services of Illinois (LSSI) has two group homes in Chicago and one in Sterling for adults who have developmental disabilities. These residences meet Community Integrated Living Arrangements (CILA) requirements set by the state of Illinois. In 2006, these homes received a 93 percent rating from the Illinois Department of Human Services.
At the homes, LSSI offers client-centered programs and services that provide residents with assistance in the least restrictive environment. The programs work to maximize each individual’s potential for growth, development, independence and self-sufficiency based on the person’s own needs and preferences.
LSSI’s programs are licensed by the Illinois Department of Human Services and Office of Mental Health and Developmental Disabilities, Department of Children and Family Services, as well as the Illinois Department of Public Health.
847/390-1450 (general information, Des Plaines)
773/274-9102 (Artesian Group Home, Chicago)
773/342-2055 (Palmer Square Group Home, Chicago)
815/625-8571 (Sterling Group Home, Sterling)
Artesian Group Home, Chicago
- Community: The home is located in the Roger’s Park neighborhood in Chicago. This ethnically diverse area is close to shopping, entertainment and recreational venues. The home is a warm and inviting two-story brick building.
- Gender of clients served: Currently there are eight males who live in the home.
- Transportation: Residents can access the CTA or use the program van for transportation to activities or the workshop.
- Average age of clients: The average age of the residents is 34.
Palmer Square Group Home, Chicago
- Community: The home is located in the Logan Square neighborhood of Chicago. It is a beautiful, historic area with buildings that are more than 100 years old, as well as some new developments. The house is located across from Palmer Square Park, which stretches from N. Kedzie Blvd. on the west to N. Humboldt Blvd. on the east.
- Gender of clients served: Currently, there 7 men and one woman at Palmer Square.
- Transportation: A van is available to transport clients to workshops, around the neighborhood and to other venues as needed.
- Average age of the clients: Currently, clients are 21 years old and older.
Sterling Group Home, Sterling
- Community: Located along the Rock River, the Sterling Group Home is housed in an older, two-story house. Sterling has many activities that the residents enjoy. There are several parks, a river to walk along or fish in, concerts in the park in the summer and bowling. Sterling has a large sports complex, and Sauk Valley Community College is only 12 miles away. The community has various seasonal events, and there is always something going on. A sheltered workshop is nearby, located about 10 minutes away from the group home.
- Gender of clients served: The Sterling Group Home only serves men.
- Transportation: A large van is available to transport clients.
- Average age of clients served: The average age of clients served is 35.